Our activity is based on the official Study-plan for pre-schools of the Swedish Education Act.
The preschool is to lay the foundation for lifelong learning. The activities should be fun, safe and instructive for all the participating children. The preschool shall stimulate the child’s development and learning and offer a safe environment and care. The activities shall come from an overall view of the child and the child’s need. They should be worked out in a way to let the care, development and learning procedures form a whole.
Our pedagogy has an overall view of the children and their various needs:
- It offers an enrichening syllabus which allows for the children eagerness to learn and which promotes this beyond the preschool years.
- It augments the child's all-round development and encompasses a close collaboration with the parents and guardians.
- It helps the children in their daily lives and promotes the independence of children to do their tasks themselves, e.g. feeding themselves, putting on clothes etc. It also encourages mutual socialisation.
We are conscious of the interests and activities of the children and to the overall development of their emotional and physical well-being.
Our pedagogical environment is well planned and gives the children the opportunity to learn in a calm setting, so as to promote the child’s development and instil sustainable values as a foundation for the rest of their lives.
Aspects of our pedagogical work
- Centring on the individual and integrity
- Basic human values
- Integrating the child’s intellect, will and creative needs
- Mathematical and linguistic development
- Awareness of the environment
- Musical creativity and appreciation
- Motor development
- Multi-lingual abilities, (Swedish/English) and promotion of the child's mother tongue
- Multi-cultural appreciation
Kids Garden in Täby uses different methods of teaching young children such as Reggio Emilia and Maria Montessori, the Bornholm method etc which have shown to be useful in a multicultural environment.
The Maria Montessori method
Maria Montessori believed that:
- All children are curious, filled with joy of discovery and eager to test new things. The interests of the children vary according to their age and level of maturity.
- The children's interests follow a universal pattern, the same for all children.
- Learning is adjusted to the child´s developmental stage.
- Allow the children's interests to stimulate their acquisition of knowledge at their own pace.
- Make room for their natural ability to concentrate on tasks that interest them.
- Allow the children's need to repeat specific tasks to their satisfaction
Make available tools and methods developed by Maria Montessori for the children at different stages of their development.
The Bornholm's model consists of different language games. This allows to learn and practice language and become conscious of the differences. The method has been developed by the reading literacy researcher Ingvar Lundberg, (now deceased), and is founded on a research project that he led on the Danish island Bornholm. At Kids Garden we use the Bornholm model in our language games.
The context-method in an additive language environment
Kids Garden in Täby has also adapted the context-method from Youth Kids International (YKI) which means that we:
- Use the child's context, language-context, social situation and environment
- Mutual learning with others in the child's vicinity
- he child's immediate environment
- Providing stimulating language materials
- Additive language environment – two languages are developed simultaneously
More information at www.youthkids.se.